Prospective Marriage Visa

Prospective Marriage Visas

 Migration to Australia under the Australian fiancé visa category is for applicants who are engaged to be married to an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand passport holder.

We offer a unique service with 100% Free advice. Ask us a question about your case and we will provide fast answers, specific to you. We are often the winning difference in a case. Ask us now - It's free so, why wouldn't you? - Click here

Ask An Immigration Question


The initial Australian fiancé visa grant is valid for nine months, during which time the applicant immigrating to Australia must have married the sponsor of the visa application.

The prospective marriage visa leads to the spouse temporary visa and subsequently to Australian permanent residence.

Eligibility Criteria


The applicant must be aged 18 years or older at the time of submitting the application.


For migration to Australia, the main fiancé visa applicant must:

  • Be sponsored by an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand resident;
  • Intend to be legally married to the sponsor and live with them in a 'genuine', continuing & exclusive relationship';
  • Be entitled to marry under Australian law;
  • Provide evidence that arrangements have been made in Australia for the wedding, including venue, date and confirmation from the celebrant;
  • Provide supporting documentation of the relationship.


The sponsor of a person emigrating to Australia on this category must also meet certain criteria for the Australian visa application.

Health & Character

Australia has strict health and character requirements that must be met before any permanent Australian visa of more than 12 months will be granted. People attempting to migrate to Australia on an Australian fiancé visa will be required to:

  • Undergo a medical examination and chest x-ray undertaken by one of a panel of doctors selected by the Australian authorities, and;
  • Obtain police certificates for all countries in which they have lived for more than 12 months in the 10 years leading up to the application.

Additional Information: An application will need to be supported by documentary evidence of the relationship.

If you would like to know more post your question here.  We will reply quickly.