UK Immigration Advice

UK Immigration Advice

Don't know which UK visa you can apply for? Here's the Global Visas quick guide to help you decide.  We are a completely free service and can save you thousands in immigration lawyers fees, our experts will answer all your UK Visa and Immigration questions quickly.  We have assisted thousands of people to secure their UK Visas since 1996.

If you are not ready to join our community and still happy to search for answers alone, here is a link to the UK government Visas site for people outside the UK. We hope it is good starting point for you.

Once you have compiled your research, you can ask us as many questions as you like and it is all completely free of charge.

Tier 1

Exceptional Talent

Available to exceptionally skilled and talented individuals, each application under this category of visa for the UK is judged individually.


For highly skilled workers, this category of British visa is no longer available to new applicants. Existing visa holders are still eligible for a renewal or extension.

Post-Study Work

For those studying in the UK who wish to transition to working in the UK. Obtaining these UK visas typically depends on the skills and education obtained while studying.


Granting a visa to the UK to those who have the experience and funding to start a business in Britain.


Similar to the Entrepreneur visa, this grants a UK visa to those who make large investments in the British economy.

Tier 2

Work Permit

Granting a temporary UK visa if you have a job offer from a UK company and meet the minimum points requirement based on education and earnings.

Change of employment

Allowing for Work Permit holders to switch between jobs. Applicants must have a job offer from a UK company and meet the minimum points requirement based on education and earnings.

Intra-company Transfer (ICT)

For overseas employees of a multi-national company to transfer to a UK office.

Tier 4

UK Student visa

UK visas for foreign students. Applicants must have a visa letter from a British education provider and provide evidence of maintenance fees and living expenses.

Tier 5

Creative and Sport Workers

Applicants for this category of visa for the UK must prove they have recognition as a leader in their field of expertise.

Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS)

Temporary visa to UK for adults aged 18-30 from Australia, Canada, Japan and New Zealand.

Family visas UK

Marriage visa

Have to be 21 and able to support yourselves.

Fiancé visa

Must be 21 and can prove you intend to marry within six months.

Dependency visa

Must be a Mother, Grandmother, Father or Grandfather and meet certain criteria. In some cases parents or Grandparents under 65 qualify. Additionally, son, daughter, sister, brother, aunt or uncle under 18 sometimes qualify.

De facto visa

For unmarried partners with settled status or ILR who want to bring their partner to join them via immigration to UK.

Ancestry visa

For Commonwealth citizens whose grandparent was born in the UK (or Republic of Ireland before March 1922).

Tourist visa

Covers a visit to the UK for up to 6 months, also covers business trips and medical treatment.


Indefinite Leave to Remain

Commonly known as UK residency, you normally need to have a minimum of 4 or 5 years continuous residence in the UK on the same visa (the amount of years depends on which visa you are on).

UK Citizenship

Be 18 or over, have lived in the UK for at least five years, have not spent more than 450 days outside of the UK in the past five years, have not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months, have not broken any immigration rules in the last five years.


Prospective Entrepreneur

Allowing applicants to live in the UK while attempting to start a business in the country, this category of UK visa simplifies the pathway to a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa.

UK Visa Extension

Depending on what type of visa you are on in the UK you may be able to apply for an extension Take the Global Visas free assessment to find out your options today.

Help You Secure Your UK Visa - For Free

If you want to secure your visa but not sure how Global Visas is here to help you.  You don't need to muddle through the visa process alone looking for information online which you hoped would be relevant to your circumstances and often confusing.  Best of all our services are completely free.

If you are interested in any of the visas listed below or just not sure which one is for you and have a question we can help.

Post Your Question

We moderate every answer which means you can trust the response.  The reply can come from a trusted migration expert, one of our team or a fellow member of our community.

For even better results join our forum and create a topic about your case and create an entire case for people to help you every step of the way.

There are five main UK Immigration Visa categories you can apply under:

Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4 and Tier 5

How can we help you secure your visa?


  1. Mohammed khan

    My son intends to marry from pakistan next year
    He is 25 she is 22
    What are the legal requirements to fulfill

    1. Profile photo of Admin Here To Help
      Admin Here To Help Post author

      Congratulations to your son, we can certainly assist him or his wife secure a visa with our advice. A few things to get started would be to ensure they have sufficient funds to emigrate to the UK as this is a major concern of UK immigration in these cases. That said as long as the marriage is legally recognised and not just a religious ceremony then they will be fine.

      you may find this link helpful

      I used to be a UK Immigration officer and would be happy to discuss this with you further. To do so please join our community and open a topic in our forum so others can read and learn from your questions and my replies and let’s secure your son’s marriage visa for the UK.

  2. Abigail Arendse

    I am English Citizen living in China with my husband. We have recently found out I am pregnant and I would like to return to the UK to start our family. Because I will be having the baby I won’t be able to sponsor him immediately and we don’t want to be separated during time! I wanted to know if we could apply for a 1 or 2-year tourist visa, we could have the baby, after 6 months I would go back to work and he could stay at home and look after the baby full time. Once I can prove my earnings he can return to South Africa and apply for the spouse visas? We will have savings to support us during this time.

    1. Profile photo of Admin Here To Help
      Admin Here To Help Post author

      With UK Marriage visas there is a need for the UK national to have a job offer in the UK which pays over £18,600 p.a and have a proven track record of employment while overseas or savings of £62,500. As you will not be able to secure employment in the UK due to your pregnancy there maybe a way you could still secure a marriage visa as there are exceptions to this rule. I have shown an extract of the rules below:

      Section EX: Exceptions to certain eligibility requirements for leave to remain as a partner or parent

      EX.1. This paragraph applies if

      (i) the applicant has a genuine and subsisting parental relationship with a child who-
      (aa) is under the age of 18 years, or was under the age of 18 years when the applicant was first granted leave on the basis that this paragraph applied;
      (bb) is in the UK;
      (cc) is a British Citizen or has lived in the UK continuously for at least the 7 years immediately preceding the date of application; and
      (ii) it would not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK; or
      (b) the applicant has a genuine and subsisting relationship with a partner who is in the UK and is a British Citizen, settled in the UK or in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, and there are insurmountable obstacles to family life with that partner continuing outside the UK.

      EX.2. For the purposes of paragraph EX.1.(b) “insurmountable obstacles” means the very significant difficulties which would be faced by the applicant or their partner in continuing their family life together outside the UK and which could not be overcome or would entail very serious hardship for the applicant or their partner.

      I would suggest you could argue your case and request your husband be allowed to join you. Especially if you can show a record of prior employment.

      On the question of your husband entering the UK as a visitor, this is certainly an option for up to six months. However, an entry clearance officer may decide that your husband’s intention after entry is to overstay his visa. If they refuse the visa then you should make a marriage visa application and explain exceptional circumstances. If the marriage visa is granted it will be for 10 years before permanent residency will be granted. During this time your husband can live and work in the UK.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *