1 topic and 1 reply Last updated by  Jon Yenney (on behalf of Rachel) 10 months, 1 week ago
Viewing topic 1 (of 1 total)
Viewing topic 1 (of 1 total)
Create New Topic in “The EU”
Your information:


  1. Scott R.


    Hey I’m looking to move to France for a job I was offered there. What kind of Visa should I apply for what do I need to do in order to get it

    1. Your Immigration Expert


      Well done on securing a job in France. I have a few questions to help me provide more focused advice. What type of job is it and what qualifications do you have to do the role. has the post been advertised or is this a job offer from a friend?
      What is the size of the company you will be working for.

      From there we can look at options. I assume they will not be asking you for money for this job.

  2. jayesh


    I’m thinking of moving to Ireland. I don’t have a University degrees. I have specific IT certifications. Will I be able to obtain a work permit for Ireland?

    1. Your Immigration Expert


      Ireland is a great place to live. I am not sure of your nationality if you have an Irish employer or have other reasons to emigrate to Ireland but I notice you referred to the fact you do not have a degree yet.

      Irish student visas are often granted for people who would like to study in Ireland. As you may know, Ireland has an excellent educational system and world-class universities. I would certainly urge you to think about completing your studies in Ireland which would allow you to live and work there while studying. Often students go on to settle in Ireland on the basis of securing a job offer which in turn leads to long-term options to remain.

      1. jayesh

        Good Day. I am from south africa.

        I have Microsoft and Cisco IT Certifications . Will that be fine

  3. Jake Krige


    I am a South African passport holder, a UK resident with indefinite leave to remain, married to a British citizen, but not yet eligible for U.K. citizenship.

    My wife intends to purchase a sailing yacht (16m LOA, <€500,000 in value), and appoint me as skipper of the vessel, for the benefit of a yacht charter company, that is yet to be incorporated. We will run our charter operations in Spanish waters for more than 90 in every 180 days, but less than 183 days of every year, as we will operate in the Caribbean sea during the winter.

    Based on this situation, am I eligible for a Category D Schengen Visa for seafarers? If not, is there any other work permit that would allow me to work on her company's boat without interference from Spanish Customs and Immigration?

    Would the vessel's flag country and/or the charter company's place of incorporation (either Malta or UK, specifically) have any impact on my visa application?

    Your attention is greatly appreciated.

    Yours sincerely

    1. Your Immigration Expert

      EU Marriage Visas

      There are various visa options available to you currently. Based on your marriage I would ask you to look at an EU marriage visa as you are married to an EU national. On this basis, as you will be residing in another EU country you no longer are restricted by UK Immigration domestic laws but fall under EU immigration rules while in Spain as opposed the Spanish domestic immigration law. I have found a link to the EU official immigration guidance note, please take the time to review and let me know your thoughts.

      This would easily and quickly allow you to secure a five-year visa, therefore, providing a greater deal of freedom of movement and not limited to a specific number of days you can remain in Spain. For this to work your wife would need to establish herself in Spain with you, this does not mean she needs to surrender her UK home.

  4. andrew mchenry

    Student Visa For France

    I am looking into studying abroad in France next year and need a Visa in order to do so. However, am I able to get a Visa that will also enable me to work while I am abroad?

    1. Your Immigration Expert


      All international students in France have the right to work, while on a student visa.

      You will be allowed to work while a student in France. To be eligible you will need to be enrolled in a college or University that participates in France’s national student health-care plan. (You will be required to hold a resident permit as a non-EU national). The right to work applies to all students, who are enrolled in a university, or as a full-time student in a language school.

      French law allows you to work for 964 hours per year, which is equal to 60% of full-time employment. Even though you can work during your studies, you will need to evidence you have enough funds to support yourself in France without the need to work, therefore, you must have an independent means of support. This is a critical point!

      You are no longer required to obtain a temporary employment authorization (APT, for “Autorisation Provisoire de Travail”) in order to work part-time during your studies, except in the case of Algerian students covered by the Franco-Algerian agreement of December 27, 1968. You may like to refer to the French official international students site here.

      International students can also take jobs in universities and other public institutions of higher education.

  5. jawed

    An Irish Dependants Visa

    I am interested in securing an Irish dependent visa, I have a commerce degree and so far complete one and half years of an MBA degree. I also have 16+ year multinational experience in software like SAP. My wife is MBBS doctor and a certified Sonographer, she also has 8 year as GP with 2 years working as a sonographer.

    My sister is UK citizen, Is it possible for me to apply for a dependent visa?

    1. Your Immigration Expert

      Irish Dependent Work Visa

      In Ireland, you can join your spouse to live and work there as long as their working visa remains current. Once you apply if you need further advice please let me know.

      1. jawed

        First A Job Then A Work Permit

        as per your advice above, first my spouse has to apply for a work visa?
        What are the possibility to get the work visa and requirements?

        1. Your Immigration Expert

          You Must Have An Employer In Ireland To Secure A Work Visa

          OK, I thought your wife had secured a job offer and the work permit was being processed, but your new question suggests you do not have an employer and therefore, no opportunity to emigrate to Ireland to secure a working visa. I wish you luck with your job hunting. An Irish employer will know what to do to secure the visa if they want to hire your wife.

          1. jawed

            Can Family Sponsor Me For A Visa?

            In continuation to above reply, I wanted to ask you one more question as my sister is UK citizen is there any possibility if she can help me to secure an open work permit in Ireland or UK? and what is your best advice for me? if any other EU country suit to my profile

            1. Your Immigration Expert

              Family Sponsorship For An Irish Work Visa

              The short answer is no. you will need to qualify on your own merits and have an employer who is prepared to sponsor you.

  6. Adel BrahimI

    Applying For A Fench Visa

    I’ve got a problem in France. Previously I did not have a visa for France and was illegal in France and immigration detained me for 15 days in 2009 and they try to send me back home. Now I’m legal, I was granted my papers. So, now I would like to apply for a visa. I want to ask if I can apply for a French visa without any problems?

    1. Your Immigration Expert

      Securing Your French Visa

      You should have no further problem with your French visa. The authorities now know about you and have accepted your case to remain in France. I would suggest you work with a local immigration expert to guide you and ensure you remain compliant with all local laws going forward, so you do not create any further issues.

  7. P Newman

    I am a British citizen and my girlfriend is from the Philippines. I want to fly her to Crete in the Greek Islands for a holiday and then travel onto Belgium to visit her sister. We are not married at present. Can you advise please as I have been reading that a Schengen visa may be suitable. If so I assume this will be based on the requirements of Greece and then the Belgium rules may be different.

Comments are closed.