WELCOME TO GLOBAL VISAS Forums Ask About Canada Immigration Extending open work permit Reply To: Extending open work permit

Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
Your Immigration Expert

Extend My Canadian Open Work Permit

As the dependent of a work permit holder in Canada, you are expected to leave when he does. If you wish to remain you will need to make your own visa arrangements. This may mean securing a work permit in your own right if you are not yet eligible for residency in Canada.

There is also the study option if the worst were to happen as this will eventually provide you with grounds to secure your own working permit if you are under skilled or living in a province with strict controls on the LIMA process and who they are prepared to offer work permits to. If you are in a province like this you could look to move to another province where the rules for nomination are more relaxed and start from there.

Whatever you decide, you will be expected to secure your own visa going forward.