• Author

Brenda@

Change My Name On My Bio Metric Residency Permit

Hi, I am a Malaysian passport holder with UK Tier 2 visa. I am getting married to my UK citizen fiancé and I intend to take his surname after we are married. I have a question about changing my name on the biometric residence permit:

1) I will not be able to change my name on my Malaysian passport but instead, my married name will be noted as an observation. Can this be accepted as a supporting document to change my name on the BRP?

2) If I can’t change my name on the BRP based on the observation in the Malaysian passport, can I apply for ILR in my married name?

Thanks

• #27347Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Changing My Name After My Wedding on My UK BRP

You can change your name in the UK after a marriage, assuming it is a legally recognised marriage. there are several other reasons people change their name, mainly under the rules of deed poll.

It is a funny thing but a name is never your but owned by the state where your birth was registered and remains their copyright. Therefore, anytime you decide to change it you can.

Here is a link to the UK Governments policy document on how to change your name on your Bio Metric Residency Permit. Please join our community and stay in touch with us. We are always here to help and share us on social media.

• #27366Reply

Brenda@

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have seen that document but it is not clear from there whether the UKBA will accept a name change application based on my passport with my maiden name on it and my married name as an observation. Would you be able to advise on this?

• #27428Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Change Of Name On My Passport

The UK Home Office have faced similar situations and are flexible to other sovereign states peculiar policies in how to recognise a name change.

The Home Office will see the note and also can see your Marriage Certificate and other evidence to explain the change of name.

I hope this help and please let me know if I can be of more help

Reply To: Changing name on BRP
Your information: