WELCOME TO GLOBAL VISAS Forums Ask About Asian Visas Indian Employment Visas – are English teachers really exempt

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Isabella Isabella 1 month, 4 weeks ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of Isabella
    Isabella@

Hi there – I’d love some advice on how best to obtain an Indian Employment Visas. I’ve got a (paid) job lined up at a small ESL institute out in India to teach English but looking at the restrictions it seems whilst teachers are exempt from having to earn the $25k+/year requirement English teachers aren’t. Having spoken to the Indian High Commission yesterday even they seemed unsure. First, the answer was ‘no’ then ‘yes’ as in ‘yes’ English teachers are exempt. Can you throw any light on the subject? Many thanks Isabella

• #26519Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Work Visas For India
    India remains a poor country and therefore any job regardless of entry requirement or pay will have a large number of candidates apply. While English teachers are not paid that well in India there is a demand for them, especially in the private sector.

There is however, a few programmes that allow people to go to India to enjoy living and working there like the one by the Britsh Council.

• #26541Reply
    Isabella
    Participant
    @Isabella

Thanks for the British Council link, yes I’ve looked at them but unfortunately they aren’t offering anything at the moment. I actually have a job lined up so that’s not the issue, my question was more to do with the Employment visa restrictions, do you know if English teachers are exempt from the $25+k stipulation? Thanks

• #26606Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

I am afraid that is not one I have heard of before and would suggest your potential employer in India look into this. I would love to know the answer when you find out. My instinct says no they would not be exempt but English teachers in India are so low paid it may be possible or you would be the highest paid teacher in town and could cause a strike if word got out, a foreigner was being paid so much more than all the other teachers.

• #26652Reply
    Isabella
    Participant
    @Isabella

Ok thanks for coming back to me, i’ll keep you posted. Isabella

Reply To: Indian Employment Visas – are English teachers really exempt
Your information: