- March 4, 2017 at 1:31 AM#27646
My husband and I are American citizens living and working in the UK on a Tier 2 ICT visa sponsored by my company. I am contemplating leaving my job but we would like to stay in London for 2-3 more months post-termination and use it as a base for European travel in that time frame. I have several questions:
1. Is it true that my visa status remains valid for 60 days post-job termination?
2. As an American, I believe you are allowed to visit the UK for up to 180 days without a visa. If my Tier 2 visa expires immediately upon job termination, can I switch to tourist status and stay up to 180 days? If my Tier 2 visa remains valid for 60 days after termination, can I switch to tourist status after those 60 days are up and stay another 180 days? For the record, we have no plans to stay that long but I still want to understand what’s allowed.
3. If the Tier 2 visa remains valid for 60 days post-termination, does that mean we continue to be covered by NHS should we need health care services?
4. If the visa immediately expires at termination, we need to buy travel insurance for health coverage (we’d need to buy this for coverage while we travel anyway). But if the visa expires and we are neither legally residents of the UK nor the US at that moment, how do get travel insurance if they typically ask where you reside so they can define whether you’re “travelling”?
Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for any advice!