WELCOME TO GLOBAL VISAS Forums Ask About USA Visas Travelling to America. Maintaining business.

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of JackAshcroft01 JackAshcroft01 2 months, 4 weeks ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of JackAshcroft01
    JackAshcroft01
    Participant
    @JackAshcroft01

My name is Jack. I am 23 years old and I am currently in a long-distance relationship with an American woman. It is my wish to move to the US and make a real attempt at our relationship. Everything has been going extremely well so far but as you can imagine it is hard to be apart for such great lengths of time.

It is my intent to visit her and her family in California for a long period of time. However, I do not want to sit around twiddling my thumbs for 6 months, burning through savings. Through my research so far I have surmised that there is no way of being granted permission to work in the US without marrying my girlfriend (this is not something I want to do for sake of a ‘green card’) and the opportunity of being offered a job and meeting the criteria for the various employment visas seems unlikely. It has also been my ambition for a number of years to work as a freelance video editor and motion graphics designer.

Recently I have been awarded an opportunity in which I can start to build this as a reality. So my question is, could I become self-employed as a freelance video editor in the UK and continue this work in the US during the period of my visit?

• #27611Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Freelance Work Visas For The USA

Many people each year go to the USA and work illegally or work and are paid by companies offshore. As a video freelancer, it would be difficult to provide you are not just an enthusiastic tourist, depending on the footage and size of your productions.

That said, I would urge you not to break the conditions of your visa as you eventually want to make the USA your home and you should obey their laws. In your case, I do hear wedding bells. May I be the first to congratulate you, either filming them or attending your own. That is your decision to make.

• #27624Reply
      Profile photo of JackAshcroft01
      JackAshcroft01
      Participant
      @JackAshcroft01

Thank you for your response. I wouldn’t want to break any laws or rules. I just needed to know whether it was worthwhile investing in equipment now (for my PC) so I could earn something whilst I was there or whether it was best to simply save up what money I can to support myself for my stay there and reevaluate once my trip ends. But I think I have my answer. The reason it occurred to me is I hear about bloggers and vloggers and other professionals working from their laptops and phones, travelling the world as they do so, presumably earning money along the way. I thought maybe if I worked from my computer it might work the same way. But thank you ever so much for your response you can’t imagine how glad it makes me that someone has helped to clear the up the information. I guess I’ll just have to go over and see how things go.

Reply To: Travelling to America. Maintaining business.
Your information: