• Author
  • #27588Reply
    Profile photo of Tatjana Guadalupe


    My fiance (UK) and I (US) are looking to apply for the marriage visitor visa. He is under the impression that the application process is very simple, and does not require much paperwork beyond what is directly asked for on the application checklist, I, however, am a bit more sceptical. Our plan is to apply for the visa so that I can travel to the UK for 12 days in April to apply for marriage at the registry then I would return to the US to keep working.

    Once we have the permit, I’d travel back to the UK for a wedding ceremony and honeymoon (within the time granted by the visa of course) and then return to the US to finish my employment contract (1 year) after which we’d apply for the appropriate visa for me to move there permanently. Is this possible? If so, do we need to provide any proof beyond what is asked for in the application checklist? Should we not apply until I am ready to move there permanently? My worry is that if we submit only what is asked of us and then end up being declined, then it would make it difficult for me to visit in the next few months.

  • #27610Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    Evidence is key to successful UK fiancee visas

    The UK immigration Rules with regard to fiance(e) visa changed on 9 July 2012 and new rules apply to any application made on or after 9 July 2012. An application as a fiance(e) can be made to the British Embassy/High Commission/Consulate for entry clearance as a fiance(e) in order to join your partner present and settled in the UK and get married in the UK after arriving in the UK as a fiance(e).

    If successful, you will be issued with six months leave to enter as a fiance(e) and marriage must be registered in the UK within these six months to apply for further leave to remain in the UK on the basis of marriage. If your application for entry clearance as a fiance(e) is not successful, you will have a statutory right to appeal against the decision of the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) to refuse the application and the notice of appeal must be filed within 28 days of the date of receipt of the refusal letter.

    The issue with your case is that you are looking to enter the UK without a marriage planned. This is going to take evidence that everything is in place for the marriage to take place. I would suggest you avoid going into details about your longer term intentions as they are not relevant to the case. the issue is if you have a legal right to enter the UK or you do not.

    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and I am sure it will be a success.

Reply To: UK Marriage visitor Visa
Your information: