WELCOME TO GLOBAL VISAS Forums Ask About UK Immigration UK VISAS & IMMIGRATION ADVICE

6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Amanda 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Join our community and let us know about your age, job title, age, qualifications and family links to the UK and we will provide you with the best options for you to emigrate.

To Submit Your Question

Go to our post your questions page and then click on “Ask about UK Immigration” and post a new topic or ask your question in an existing topic for free, friendly, expert advice.

• #26994Reply

Maya@

UK Citizenship

My husband and I are both French citizens (E.U) and have lived in the UK for 6-7 years from 2008 until 2014. our daughter was born in the UK in 2011. Therefore, we had not been living in the UK for 5 years prior to her birth.

Would she be eligible for British Citizenship even if we left the UK over 3 years ago and are now French residents?

We are planning to go back and live in the UK so we think it will be a privilege if she can have the British citizenship.

I called the Immigration home office and they said over the phone that she was eligible. I have prepared the application and it is ready to be sent. But I still have doubts since we aren’t currently residents in the UK.

I’m afraid if she gets a refusal for the British citizenship that it might affect her later in her life if she decides to apply for it when she grows up.

• #27008Reply
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

UK Citizenship

The Home Office are correct from what I can see and your daughter should be eligible for UK Citizenship. On another note, a refusal of UK Citizenship is never held against anyone as there is no legal obligation to become a UK Citizen and therefore a refusal does not incur any adverse effects or prohibit further applications. I hope this helps.

• #27290Reply
    Profile photo of Jessica Odiongan
    Jessica Odiongan
    Participant
    @jessica-odiongan

Visiting My UK Partner

Hi my name is Jessica,
    I tried to get a visa to visit my partner in north Ireland last February, but I was turned down on a few points. I was refused a visa, the Entry Clearance Officer in the refusal stated it was because I don’t live with my son in Bohol and I don’t earn enough money. These were the two main reasons I was refused a visa.

I don’t live with my son in Bohol because the salary there is not enough. So, I did what most single mums do and move to the city for a better salary to support my family I was also informed by the UK Visa Department that I have no reason to return to the Philippines because I don’t have an active relationship with my son, “OMG” of course I have an active relationship with him, I visit him regularly. They also claimed I could and probably would earn more money working in the UK so, I was a risk of not returning back home.

I love my son and want to be with him more than anything and I will never earn big salary here in the Philippines. So, how am I ever going to be able to come to the UK to visit my partner?

Someone suggested I should leave the Philippines and to go to another country for a short visit just to prove I have left my country and returned so could be trusted to do the same if my visa was approved for the UK. However, when my partner booked a trip to Kuala Lumpur to meet me there, the Malaysian immigration office in Manila wouldn’t even let me go there on my passport which Philippines people are normally allowed to do.

How can I ever visit my partner in the UK? I would love to go there and visit his Mum because she is ill and can’t travel over here.
    Thanks Jess

• #27302Reply
    Your Immigration Expert
    Keymaster
    @GlobalVisas

Refusal Of A UK Visa On Several Grounds

Your visa refusal is rather comprehensive and the UK Entry Clearance Officer has clearly taken a great deal of time to hammer a few nails in the coffin lid of your plans to visit the UK. If I were to break them down a little it might help you understand the situation a little better.

Firstly, not living with your child. This is very common in the Philippines and culturally the norm for parents to leave their children with Grand Parents or others while they go to work. Many Mum’s work in Dubai, the UK and across the globe only seeing their children grow up on Skype. A vast percentage of the Philippines GDP is borne from overseas parents sending money their children. So the Entry Clearance Officer may have mentioned this but has no real impact on your case other than to remove any potential argument that because you have a child you would be more likely to return.

Funds is another issue where the Immigration officer is underlining that you will need to be financially supported to complete your travel plans and that would probably require your UK boyfriend to finance whole or part of the trip. Again, this would suggest stronger ties with the UK than the average tourist and would present an issue of possibly “Running To Ground” which means overstaying illegally with your partner in the UK.

Finally, the biggest issue is your intention not to return home. Unfortunately, a large number of Filippino’s overstay in the UK and other countries each year and work illegally. The UK Immigration Office is looking at the trend over recent years and applying it to your case. This is an impossible point to argue and doing short trips to Malaysia, Singapore or elsewhere will not detract from the historical data being used to make that decision.

The biggest kicker of all is that you have a UK partner. In recent years girls in the Philippines and Thailand have secured a reputation for marrying western men for financial gain. While others exploit their goodwill and generosity by asking for money, in some cases girls can have multiple UK boyfriend who all pay them money. The UK Government see this as an issue and aim to protect UK men from such exploitation. I am not suggesting for one second this is the situation in your case but this is how it is perceived to be by the Immigration officer.

My brother fell in love with a Filipino lady over 10 years ago. He has been living in Cebu happily ever since. So, you are not alone in your challenge but I assure you it is a very difficult visa to secure and when I arrange to bring my brother’s girlfriend to the UK, I had to give my old friends in the UK Immigration my personal guarantee she would not work and would return home. Even then I was not sure if that would be enough to swing it. I guess we were lucky.

• #27380Reply
      Profile photo of jessodds
      jessica odiongan@

Now I Know, I Never Stood A Chance Of Being Granted A Visa

Thanks very much for your reply

Your answers were very much as I expected. unless I have something to bring to the table as the saying goes, I have absolutely no chance of obtaining a visa to the UK. if I was a very wealthy business person with something to bring to the UK I would get in so easy, I understand, shallow as it may seem, that’s the bare truth and I guess I will just have to live with that.

The immigration officer should treat each case solely on its merits and not perceive. I am not that kind of person to take advantage of anyone and I truly love my partner with all my heart.
      The officer should not be using recent trends to decipher my case, I am an individual and should be treated as one. I paid my funds to apply for a visit to the UK and as it seems I never really had any chance and probably never will.

I will not waste any more of my precious time or funds applying for a phantom visa that will never be issued to someone like me. Thanks anyway for your advice, you gave me all the answers I need to move on
      Thanks, Jessica

• #27641Reply

Amanda@

Switching in the UK from a Fiancee Visa to a Marriage Visa

I am currently in the UK on a fiance visa. I am now married and need to switch over to a spouse visa. I was told that I needed to fill out the FLR M application. In the application, it is asking me to prove I’ve been living with my husband by providing documents such as mail. We have only been living together for 5 months and were just married so nothing is in our name together. In the application, the requirement is thus: “If you and your partner have no bills or correspondence in joint names, you will need to submit 12 items (6 each) of correspondence evidencing that you reside together at the same address.” I cannot work on a fiance visa, and the only thing I have in my name here is a phone. I don’t have any other correspondence other than a few statements from my bank. This is supposed to be over the course of two years?
    I feel like I’m not doing the right application. Hard to provide documents with your name and address on it together if you were only just married, and how can I come up with 6 different correspondence when I’ve only been living here for 5 months?
    Please help!

Reply To: UK VISAS & IMMIGRATION ADVICE
Your information: