WELCOME TO GLOBAL VISAS Forums Ask About USA Visas USA Visas and Immigration Questions

17 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Alicia 1 week, 5 days ago
  • Author
  • #25129Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    Discuss USA Visas

    Looking for a slice of the American dream but not sure how to secure the right USA visa, we can help you for free. Post your question with as much information as possible and our experts will reply to you quickly with a full response you can trust.

  • #25681Reply

    Alicia Arthur@

    Moving To The USA For Work

    I’m looking at applying to work in the US, I’m a British citizen currently and am a registered nurse. I don’t have any idea on where to start and am looking for advice on this?

    • #27700Reply


      Good Evening,

      I am a US citizen living and working in Turks and Caicos. My fiancée lives here as well; he was born in Haiti. We would like to get married in Haiti, or perhaps the US. We cannot get married here in Turks and Caicos because he does not status here. Can you please tell me what options we have in obtaining a Visa for him. We don’t necessarily want to get married in the US, but we will if he’s able to obtain documents to re-enter Turks and Caicos. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


  • #26044Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    What Is Required For A US Work Visa

    Securing a US visa currently is a tough challenge, unless you have a family, an employer or large sums to invest. As a Nurse, I would not hold out on securing a job offer as US immigration control discourages employers from looking overseas to fill skills gaps and the US train a large number of Nurses each year.
    I would recommend you look at Canada as a great option. Even though Canada also has tough immigration controls and Nurses are heavily regulated there is more of a chance to secure a working visa, employer or an international experience class visa if you are young enough.
    In my opinion, Nurses should be able to live in the country of their choice as they only bring benefits to the local community assuming they have the skills. Unfortunately, in the modern world countries are closing their borders, which is disappointing.

  • #26059Reply


    US Fiancee Visas

    I live in South Africa and my fiancee lives in America, actually, he is American. I met him back when I was in America back in 2003 after I had finished my internship program at Disney world. I overstayed my US visa to remain illegally. Eventually, I decided to come back home after my mum got sick.

    Now I wish to return the USA as my fiancee needs me more since he got sick as he has now lost both his legs. I would like to go back so I can be able to help him. Actually he wants me to come back and help him. So, I was wondering if you could be of any assistant, please provide advice on what to do, and also I was wondering if it would be possible to re-enter since I stayed for a while after my visa expired. I would really appreciate if I some feedback.

  • #26062Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    US Fiancee Visas

    Wow! you have been clearly unlucky recently. Not as unlucky as your boyfriend who lost his legs. I wonder how that happened. There are a few things you could do but there is no guarantee any of this will work but it maybe worth a try.

    You could get engaged and plan to marry on arrival in the USA. You will require a great deal of evidence and ultimately this is up to an immigration officer to decide if they are willing to accept you back in. That is a 50/50 bet due to your previous overstay.

    The part where the case is most exposed to risk is on funds. If your partner is not able to support you financially you will more than likely be rejected a visa. Family sponsors of immigrants applying for a U.S. green card must prove that they can financially support the immigrant as well as their own household at 125% of the dollar amounts shown in the U.S. Poverty Guidelines.

    I hope your mum is feeling better and your boyfriend doesn’t loose anything else.

  • #26141Reply
    Profile photo of Jill E.M.H.
    Jill E.M.H.
    @Jill E.M.H.

    US F1 Visas Switching To an H1b Visa

    I’m currently in the USA on my F1 visa. My OPT work permit will be valid as of march 1st 2017. I would like to apply for an H1b visa this year. I will be employed by a profit organisation, in travel, event and management services (my speciality occupation). I also have an MSc degree from a US University. I know that there is a cap exemption for Master degrees but believe that this is only for individual who work for not-for-profits. Can you confirm this? If this is indeed so, I will have to apply for an H1B visa without the cap exemption benefit.

    In the past, I have worked as a consultant. Is it also possible to apply for an H1B visa as a consultant? In that way securing my ability to work for multiple employers at the same time?
    I greatly appreciate any advice regarding the visa application.

  • #26284Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    US F1 To H1b Visas

    H-1B Visas start again on the 1st April so you are in a place right now to be prepared to file when the new allocation of 67,000 is launched. You will not be exempt but as a Master’s graduate, you will be eligible to secure one of the additional H-1B visas specifically set aside for those with higher degrees.
    There are a few clever ways to move your case forward but I notice you never mentioned an F-1 OPT option which would allow you to work for up to a year. This is assuming you never worked during your studies. An F-1 OPT will also allow you to open your own business. Here is a link that might help you


    From there assuming you are doing well this time next year you would have a wider variety of visas to look more terms at remaining in the USA. There again, you could work now to secure your H1-B in April and get set for a great career.

    Whatever you decide to do you are in a very lucky position now you have put the effort in. Going forward US immigration is only going to get easier for you.

  • #26375Reply

    Ben Dutton@

    US Marriage Visas

    Hi, my wife is American and I am a UK citizen, we want to apply for a US Marriage visa that will allow me and my 8-year-old son to live in the US so we can all be together, I’ve heard from some that once we file for the i130 and we have confirmation that it has been received that we can move over and be given a temporary work permit and SSN whilst the process is taking place. is this right?

  • #26378Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    US Marriage Visas

    I am often asked if a person can reside or enter the US while their marriage visa application is pending. The short answer is that you can enter for three months as a visitor only, with the intention of leaving the USA at the end of this time. As a tourist, you will not be able to work.
    You can apply for an SSN as a tourist in the USA but that will not alter your visa status.

    Based on your comments I would assume your son is from a previous relationship. The US Immigration authorities will want to confirm you have permission from your previous partner if applicable to take your Son with you. They will also want to complete Police and medical checks prior to approving your visa.

    These checks are important for the US to complete prior approving your visa. As it is always cheaper and easier to keep a person outside the USA rather than have to locate them, then pay to deport them, if they fail to meet the immigration requirements, it makes sense that USA immigration authorities would not allow you to enter the USA and start employment until such time that they are happy with your case and completed all their checks.

    I see you are a UK national and I assume you will be applying for your visa from the US embassy in the UK. The god news is that processing times on “visa ready” applications are taking 90 days or less to complete as opposed to the five or six months experienced in some countries.

    if you would like assistance with your marriage case please open a new topic or question and I shall be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

  • #26682Reply
    Profile photo of Wayne Whitlock

    US IMMIGRATION INA 22(a)(ii)(B)
    My brother and his wife would like for me to come down to the USA to stay with them for half a year in Cali. The problem I have is I might not be eligible for entry based on previous multiple criminal convictions (CIMT). I was a young and stupid individual. I got charged with Fraud and Utter Forge Doc. I served a suspended sentence in Canada (probation) and have not reoffended at all since that time.

    Can I obtain any clarification on INA 212(a)(2)(B) that could be of use in explaining if I am able to enter?

  • #26688Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    US Immigration Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude

    Aliens who have been convicted of, or who admit to having committed, or who admit to committing acts which constitute the essential elements of a crime involving moral turpitude, other than purely political offences are excludable under INA §212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I). To be excludable based on an admission, an alien must voluntarily admit all of the facts which constitute the crime and it must be considered a crime under the laws where it occurred.

    In your case, you did not mention the exact charge nor time since the offence. In short, if you have only committed on crime and it was served and years have passed you will be fine. The only offences which would lead to blanket ban are drugs related.

    There are two types of waivers that apply to each grounds of inadmissibility:

    one for immigrants and one for nonimmigrants. Immigrants are foreign nationals who are trying to obtain an immigrant visa or green card. Nonimmigrants are foreign nationals who are trying to obtain or enter with a temporary visa such as a B2 tourist visa, F1 student visa or H1B work visa, among others. Some grounds of inadmissibility allows both immigrant and nonimmigrant waivers, some allow one and some offer no waiver at all.

    Many people who are faced with an inadmissibility determination believe that they will never be able to obtain a waiver or enter the US again. This is simply not true. For almost all types of inadmissibility classes, a waiver is available and there is always an option to challenge the determination.

    Therefore, I suggest you apply for your visa if rejected based on this rule you have good grounds to apply for a waiver.

  • #27222Reply
    Profile photo of Wayne Whitlock
    Wayne Whitlock

    My Crime Was Over Five Years Ago

    Sorry for the delayed reply.

    Indeed, I did list the charges I was arrested for but I guess they were overlooked while deciding how to respond to me. I did not list time since the infractions. That was almost 5yrs ago when this occurred.

  • #27223Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    Securing A Visa With A Criminal Conviction

    I think you will be OK. I can not guarantee the outcome as that is down to the Immigration Officer once they read your case notes but I have heard of people with much more recent and serious convictions being approved. Please let me know how you get on.

  • #27608Reply

    Louise Willmott@

    Hi – I am about to be sponsored by an employer to come and work in the USA (California) and I need to bring my husband and children over – would my visa be a H1B and their H4?
    My biggest question is this – my husband was convicted of a crime (it was classed as robbery but was a fight on a train and he took £5 from the man he was fighting with – drunken stupidity – landed him in prison) this was in 1990 – would this stop him from being allowed this H4 visa?

  • #27654Reply
    Profile photo of Your Immigration Expert
    Your Immigration Expert

    Criminal Records And US Visas

    The short answer is that your husband should be able to claim his US visa. As a rule spent convictions of this type are not a barrier to securing a visa. There are exceptions to this rule which include drug offenses and certain types of fraud and violence against women. As this crime was a one off, you should declare it and be prepared to state how sorry he was for the crime.

    I would avoid trying to justify his actions as the USA look for people to own their wrong doing before they can claim they are rehabilitated and any “rough justice” claims are frowned upon. So, simply put your hands up and show remorse for the victim if asked.

  • #27712Reply
    Profile photo of valentyn_tofel@yahoo.com
    [email protected]
    @[email protected]

    Student visa requirements.

    I plan to be enrolled in MBA course in on of US business schools. Additionally, prior to MBA study I would like to study for 3-6 month on different exam preparation courses (IELTS/TOEFL/GMAT/GRE/PMP). Can I get F1 visa for the cumulative period of exam preparation and MBA at the at once or do I need to apply a separate visa for exam preparation courses and MBA?

  • #27804Reply



    I would like to know what would be the best option for me to get a green card for the USA I am from Canada and would love to live and work in the USA and would love to know what would be the best possible option for me I currently have my own business and I am hoping I can move to the USA soon also I do have family that live there but they are not immediate family and because they aren’t would they still be able to sponsor me? If not what would be some other options? I also do not have any job offerings because I do work for myself in hopes of moving to the USA to better my business and network with people but I mainly love the USA and would love to get the opportunity to move there.

Reply To: USA Visas and Immigration Questions
Your information: